Kids need physical activity on a regular basis to keep them fit and healthy. In today’s world many children are considered overweight or obese. Global childhood obesity has more than doubled since 1980.
The effects of childhood obesity can severe on a child’s health. Children who are overweight or obese are more prone to chronic illness as well as a poor self-image. It is critical that kids get the proper amount of physical activity to regulate obesity, promote heart and lung fitness, and prevent serious illnesses. By adopting healthy habits at a young age we can help keep kids fit and healthy into adulthood.
As a parent, how do you stay fit? How can we make physical activity enjoyable for your child? Here are a few ways we can work together to get kids active, stay fit and have fun….
- Be an example. Monkey see monkey do. If kids see their parents being active they tend to follow suit.
- Exercise together. Go for a walk on a trail, shoot some hoops or play a game of road hockey
- Keep it fun! By keeping physical activity fun and enjoyable your child may want to engage in the activity more frequently
- Make work fun! Rake the leaves as a family, plant a garden and look after it or wash the car together
- Choose activities or sport that the child enjoys.
- Be creative- have a balloon fight, scavenger hunt or create a backyard obstacle course
- Dance- Crank the music, move and have fun
- Play group games such as kick the bucket, freeze tag or red-rover
- Encourage children to walk or bike places you would normally drive them to
- Limit screen time. Don’t let technology take over. Encourage your child to get up and keep moving
- Make activity a habit. Encourage your child to repeat their physical activities of choice and create a habit.
- Provide and promote healthy food choices
Physical activity and a healthy diet is the key to a healthy lifestyle for your entire family. By engaging in physical activity daily we can create a lifelong habit.